- South Africa offers an excellent network of tarred roads with
emergency services available along all the major highways
- Driving is on the left hand side of the road
- Generally the speed limits are 60 km in built up areas,
100km in rural areas and 120km on highways. Speed limits
apply in Game Reserves. These are all strictly enforced.
- It is essential, by law, to wear seat belts.
- Petrol costs approximately R9.90 per litre (it may fluctuate on a
monthly basis). Petrol stations (known locally
as garages) accept cash or South African Garage Cards - they do
not accept credit cards. When traveling long distances,
please ensure that you have sufficient cash to fill up with
enough fuel to complete the journey.
- Petrol is available 24 hours per day at all major centres and
on all highways.
- When driving you must be in possession of a valid,
unendorsed drivers license at all times.
- Do not drink and drive in South Africa, as this is a very
serious offence. Maximum allowance is 2 beers or 2 glasses of
wine or 2 tots of spirits.
- Long distances may be traveled with ease and traffic is often minimal.
- South Africa has 11 official languages
- English is the main official language
- The Rand denoted by the symbol R. R1 = 100cents.Coins are in 1c,
2c, 5c, 10c, 20c, R1, R2, R5.
- Notes are in R10, R20, R50, R100,R200.
- Currently 14% VAT (Value-Added Tax) this is included in the marked
quoted price of most goods and services
- In restaurants, patrons are expected to tip 10% of the bill
depending on the standard of service provided.
- In major cities, towns and most game reserves, tap water is purified
and safe to drink.
- 220 Volt AC
- 3 Point Plugs are used in S.A
- Before you travel to S.A. ensure that you are
familiar with travel-related ailments, such as malaria
For your Safety:
- Keep all doors locked while driving
- Always park in a safe, designated area
- When leaving the vehicle unattended, lock all the doors and
the boot (trunk).
- Do not leave valuables in the vehicle. Personal property is not
covered by Europcar, Hertz, Tempest, Budget insurance.
- Do not hand keys to hotel porters to park the vehicle, or
leave keys at reception.